Surf Trip Travel Forum

Surftrip.com

Surf Travel Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nicaragua Colorados area
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:17 pm 

just returned from five days in Southern Nic.
I think it was my best surf trip to date.

Off shore about 80% of the time and swell, it was at least head high every day and most days a few feet over head. We did get two days of double over head waves. I stayed at villas Iguanas which is located on the N end of the beach about 200 yards N of the spot Panga Drops. Colorados surf spot was about a ten minute walk down the beach. The condo was very nice, right on the beach with maid service and AC.
It was a perfect location with a pool on the beach and very uncrowded. There is even a nice golf course in the area and a small restaurant and store.

Colorados is one of the best waves I have ever seen. Its a beach break river mouth. Its a long wave and it can barrel ! It did get crowded about 35 people in the water at most times but still plenty of waves to go around.

Panga Drops was an OK wave the left was weak but the right super fun. I surfed the beach break mainly in front of our condo and it was walled but with corners, super fun warm water. Weather was perfect too for the rainy season it never really did. It got over cast and tropical in the afternoons but not too humid.

We also surfed Rancho Santana its a gated American community with a nice pool and bar restaurant and lots of homes for rent it also has an amazing peaky beach break. Its just N of Iguanas.

We also surfed a day at Lances left which was about an hour drive N of Iguanas. Lances was a long left point that we hiked into. It was over head and not crowded about ten guys from Pangas were on it. All friendly. Had a session did about 200 back side turns till my back said no MORE.... the wave goes about 100 yards and is a nice wall, no real barrel on the day we surfed but it was like skateboarding turn after turn super fun. We did get our shoes and towels stolen at Lances so if you hike in dont leave anything....most surf it out of pangas.

Nicaragua is a really nice place to visit. The people were very friendly and it felt very safe.
Beer was not cheap and groceries and gas but services were like hiring a driver or surfing out of a panga.

We did fish a day out of Gigante which is the next bay S of Colorados/Iguana area. A local named Zack took us he has 3 pangas and is super cool and an excellent guide...

I am going back in November. I made some great contacts so if anyone needs any info on lodging or a guide I can fwd you info. email me at DonOrr2@gmail.com.